Peer support is defined as “support from a person who has knowledge from their own experiences with a disease or chronic illness. It could be a person living with or affected by the condition. The purpose of Sorogi’s support group is to provide participants with a platform to share personal experiences, challenges, and triumphs.
Benefits to Participants
- Get and give support
- Offer practical insights about dealing with a chronic illness(s)
- Share challenges and distress
- Minimize the isolation of living with or caring for a loved one with a chronic health condition.
- Stay abreast of research, technologies, treatments, and more
- Find someone going through the same stage of life with a chronic illness (college, complications, pregnancy, retirement)
- Advocate for causes and resources needed to improve the life of people affected by chronic illnesses.